Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Knitting Queen

I've decided I'm going to knit some of my Christmas presents this year.
I don't know if I should really post exactly what it is that I'm scheming, I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise for those of my friends who actually read this thing, but it might actually help me see it through, so I'll decide in a few days after I've made some progress.
I will say that, in theory, they'll be the cutest things ever.
And that I was inspired by my friend Leila's (Ryan's wife) latest craft, found in this fabulous book.

The thing about me and knitting is that I can never remember how to do it.
I have knit several things in the past from too-short-too-wide sweaters to lumpy winter hats, but put the knitting down for more than a few days, and I've forgotten everything I know.

Job one: Casting on 17 stitches. 
Luckily, I've found a helpful resource at knitting.about.com.
Success! In only 2 tries. I hope I did it right. I've never knit without my mom in the other room.
Now for a little purling
And increasing by 10 stitches*

*Total time elapsed between purling, and this photo: 57 minutes
Total times I ripped everything out and started over until I got it right: 2
Total time I enjoyed myself doing it: 0:02 seconds

So it was a rough start, but start I did. Here's my progress so far today. Pathetic, but I think the tough part is over, and I did get some great practice casting on. I'm practically a professional cast-er on-er.
Oh, and I also ate half a loaf of the zucchini bread my mom delivered this afternoon. 
Well the baby did. 
I merely facilitated.

1 comment:

  1. I just saw on the weekend that there is a knitting group at The Good Food Company in Carleton Place on the 1st and 3rd Wed. of every month. I am going to attend today for my very first time and thought you might be interested.

    I think Textile Traditions also has a knitting club that meets at the Ironworks. Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete