Thursday, January 6, 2011

Whittling away

I had a relatively productive day yesterday.
At least, I got 2 things off my list from my last post.
Which is pretty huge (my New Year's resolution (one of them) was to be easier on myself as far as my accomplishments go) considering everyone around here is just a little under the weather and Clementine's eye leaked green goo all day and had her wanting to press at least one of her body parts against me at all times.

I...
  • finished the curtain for Clem's "new" old room.
  • and hung the shelves in the bathroom so you can finally see a before/after...
What was once this:

Now looks like this!:
Ignore the droopy curtain. It needs a little tweaking yet.


I decided to forgo the hardware for the cupboards for another year or so because, although it's mildly annoying to have to risk a fingernail to open the doors or drawers, it's practically impossible for a kid to open them, and I've kind of started to enjoy not having to share my blush brush with a two year old.

So much better don't you think?

As for the curtain, I'm having the same Etsy seller make a custom bed skirt in one of Clemmie's quilt fabrics and I decided that I'd revamp her existing white curtain panel by adding the same material as a band across the bottom.

So, you know, I did.
And it looked so cute that suddenly the unpainted wood buttons on the tabs at the top of the curtain were just a little too plain jane.

So I went out to our local fabric shop (so glad I did because it reminded me that TODAY is the store's annual birthday sale. 40% off at Textile Traditions today folks!) and picked up some DIY buttons to cover in some of the other fabrics from the quilt.
I decided to just go ahead and hang it, even though it's pretty much the only thing that's complete in her room.
That and the crib.
But I promise to show you the final package when it's all done.
Hopefully in the next week (save for the bed skirt).

I put a call out to all my local girlfriends for a little Sunday afternoon "barn raising" in hopes that I could get a few more things ticked off my list, and four of them are coming out to help.
I have good friends.
I don't see them all that much, but I am so lucky to have them on speed dial.

Another thing I did - that wasn't necessarily on my to do list, but should have been long ago - was email all the committees I'm a member of to tell them I wouldn't be around to help for a while.
I have enough to think about between the new kid, and Clemmie (who is turning MORE two every day God help me), and the shop and the craft show and Brad (if he's so lucky).
And I just needed to turn off a few burners.

I feel good about it.
Excellent actually.
I wasn't contributing much in the last months anyway, but I still had the guilt of not participating.
(Dropping the guilt thing happens to be another of my resolutions)
So nobody's going to get a piece of me for a while.
This list of mine is getting shorter, not longer so don't even ask ok?

And besides, I need to spend some quality time with this one:

Even if she does like to make this face more and more often...

Just a good old fashioned tea party with a few of her best gal pals.


I have a feeling you'll be hearing more from me this week.

And now I've jinxed it.
Em




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post! I love seeing new pics of Clemmie. She's becoming quite the little lady ;-) Miss you darling! xo

    ReplyDelete