Friday, January 14, 2011

It's been so long since we started our back room reno that I honestly don't even know how long it took us to complete.

All I know is that in these pictures it looks pretty nice outside and in the reveal shots I'm about to post, it's winter.
And I know there was a whole other winter in between.
It's been a while.
Maybe a year and a half.

When Brad and I bought this house in 2008 it had what the sellers referred to as a three season room attached to what became our TV room at the back of the house.

Basically, it was a windowed in porch with an old hardwood floor and a pretty rickety door leading to the side garden.

We actually did use it as a computer room, but only in the warmer months, and also for storage.
Something that the house is still lacking, but can be a blessing at times since we've gotten really good at keeping nothing we don't need.
Sure, we have different definitions of "needs" at times but as a general rule, if we don't use it, we toss/donate it.

It was a sad excuse for an office but, like so many other eye sores that I've been working to eliminate, we got used to making it work.

That said, renovating this room and turning it into a usable space for Clemmie to play in has been the best possible improvement we've made to our house...and our lives.
We don't have a basement for her to spread out in you see.
Just a trap door in the floor that leads to the furnace and Brad's hockey equipment (a scary, stinky place indeed).

Putting in new windows, a door, raising the ceiling, expanding the doorway and opening up a window in the wall has not only created the space we've been craving, but it's also made the room we spend most of our down time in feel twice as big.
I can sew at my table and watch a movie while Clemmie plays house in the background.
We can both do what we want to do independently of each other, but still be connected.
I can be PRODUCTIVE and not feel like I'm neglecting her.
It's perfect.

Want to see?

Here's the room before:

Our home "office".
My ever handy hubby busting up the floors.
Yes, we tried to save them. We couldn't.
The old door leading to the TV room. You can also see the ceiling that we bumped up.

The old door leading to the garden.
The wall to the left in this shot is now a big window, and soon-to-be book shelves in the corner.

And NOW!:

Felt dot garland courtesy of Melissa's leftovers from the craft show, "grass" rug, easel, table and chairs from Ikea, mosaic by me.
The recessed wall treatment where once there were window shutters from a previous addition to the home.

Clemmie's favourite thing, her kitchen, from Ikea.

My new, old sewing table with view of TV room.

View from TV room.

So there you have it.
The elusive back room reno. Nearly two years in the making and totally worth the wait.
My friend Tim did all of the work.
The same Tim who put in our countertop and built the dance floor as a last minute "Tim I need your help, I forgot about the dance floor and now it's too late to rent one" wedding gift.
He's pretty awesome.

There are a few spots for art and shelves that have yet to be completed, but it really is so amazing.
We love having it and so does Clem.
And when I'm spending hours on the couch nursing a new born it will be so nice to be able to be close to Clem and still be able to engage in her playtime.

Em

4 comments:

  1. Reno looks great! Where did you get the "grass" rug? Love it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a difference, everything looks so fantastic. I love that little playroom. Can't wait to hear about your next addition! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! we did a similar reno to a garage. Like us I'm sure you find the additional space fabulous not to mention increasing your home value.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I didn't reply to this comment! The grass rug is from Ikea. $40 I think. Unless your cat pees on it, then you can go ahead and add an additional $30 for professional cleaning.

    ReplyDelete