Saturday, April 24, 2010

Something to talk about

What do you want to talk about?
I've arrived at that point again where I have so much going on and so many details to tackle that it's really just easier not to discuss.

Next time I don't write in my blog for more than a week, you'll know what's up.
The main thing SHOULD be the planning of our upcoming craft show. I mean, that's the fun thing on my list, but other junk is really getting in the way.
Like volunteer junk.
Ugh. I hate it.

Makes me want to hug my knees and rock.
That's not a bad idea actually.
Maybe people would quit approaching me for stuff.

Anyway. Enough of the Debbie Downer bit.
A high point in the last 2 weeks was definitely my trip to Toronto for our aforementioned girls weekend.
It was a relaxing weekend of walking and shopping and eating and drinking and chatting.
I have become totally obsessed with Sarah Richardson of late and was on a mission for some fabulous fabric to inspire my less than inspiring bathroom.
So I was really thrilled to have a chance to hit up EuroFab on Queen West - a place that totally didn't get me excited while I lived in Toronto, but that I have a much greater appreciation for now that I can't find anything nearly as cool here in Ottawa.

Not everyone was as pumped up about decor shopping as I was, but that's the nice thing about having such a big entourage. There's always someone who's on the same page as you.
Both Marie Lou and Kim bought new homes that week (weird how that happened) so they were all about window and wall furnishings, and Josie's nesting phase has her dreaming of polka dotted handmade pillows so I had some buddies to shop with.

Marie Lou is thinking of outfitting her dining room in some of the most gorgeous wallpaper known to woman. I'd like to say I encouraged her, but the girl needs no encouragement.
She shreeked "I LOVE flocking! I love flocking!" over and over as she flipped through the pages of one of their wallpaper books.
Totally oblivious to how that might have sounded to bystanders.
One of the many, many reasons I {heart} MLG.

So did I buy anything you're wondering?
Yes. Yes I did.
I definitely exercised a LOT of restraint though and settled on just one break-the-bank yard of some funky Chris Stone fabric who's job it will be to inspire my ugly bathroom.
Before and after blog post to follow!!

While we were in TO we went to this super adorable little Cuban restaurant called Julie's Snack Bar. We're talking turquoise shelves and twinkle lights adorable.
I would like our craft show to look something like Julie's Snack Bar. But craftier.
Whatever that means.

I stole this less than great picture from their website.
Because although I take my camera everywhere, it doesn't always remember to leave my purse.

When we got home Colleen and I hosted our Sock Monkey workshop on both the Monday and Tuesday evening.
Oh. My. Gosh. It was fun.
Long. But fun. Exhausting. But fun.
Neither night finished before 10pm which is way way way too late after a full work day.
So basically Brad played "Single Parent" (one of our favourite games around here) from Friday until Wednesday.

The first night especially got a little rowdy and raunchy.
I think the trouble started with "and then you stuff the crotch" and it just snowballed from there.
The end results were all a little different (some anatomically correct, some not) but all equally loveable.
I think I recall someone saying "Now this is a sock monkey only a sock monkey's mother could love."
Funny.


Who knew monkey making could be such serious business?


Here are a few of our new pals.
Karen (aka total nut job and my new favourite workshopper) even sent me a picture the day after demonstrating her monkey practicing "safe sox" while driving.
Good girl.

Believe it or not we're actually doing the pendant workshop again.
But I promise we'll move on after this one.
Colleen is off for a week or so and we'll get right back on track once she's back.
Any ideas?
I was thinking I'd like to try some glass etching, but we're open to suggestions.

Also, the weather has been particularly nice lately. Unless you count today when it snowed.
But who's counting today?

Clemmie and I have been taking full advantage of the sunshine and have gone on lots of walks this week.
A month ago she wouldn't have kept those shades on for more than a few seconds. Now she insists upon being accessorized to the hilt before she'll go anywhere.
The little glamourpuss.


(okay so maybe she's just amusing her mommy)
Note the HBC Rewards card.
Because you never know when you're going to have an opportunity to rack up some major points on that thing.
Cha ching!

That's it for now.
See you on Mill Street!

xo Em

4 comments:

  1. Hey Karen - We made the Blog!! You NutBar...LOL - Sock Monkey making Rocked. Thanks Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh I am so sad to confess I am passing on that goooorgeous wallpaper! I do love it (and LOVE flocking!) but it's just too dramatic for the space. Once you see it, you'll forgive me for passing... I am still on the hunt... By the way, they're a freakin' bloody fortune!!! Yikes. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear Clem gets cuter by the week. I love the shades and the new picture of Brad and her shoes you posted. So cute. Can't wait to see your bathroom. I am taking the roman blinds workshop... so you teach me two make a sock monkey someday soon and I will tell you what I remember about roman blinds? Deal? Miss you. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just came across your blog. Love it! Almonte isn't too far away so I think I will have to "drag" my sister. I quoted "drag" because if she sees your blog too then she will be "dragging" me there too! Your workshops look really fun and I love to do anything crafty (since it's 'coming back' don't you know?) and as far as stupid customers that think an old piece smells like urine tell them to buy new! Hoping to see your shop sooner then later. Have a great day. :0)

    ReplyDelete