Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Windows of Opportunity

As beautiful and bustling (sometimes) as Mill Street can be, there are still a handful of empty storefronts for rent on the main drag.
I get a lot of comments from customers about how sad they think it is that there are vacant shops, and how awful it is that people go out of business...and blah blah blah.

It gets me down when people talk like this.
What they don't realize is that owning a business is really tough.
It's a ton of work, it's a huge risk and it's not for the faint of heart.
What's more is that you have to bite your tongue all the time when people come in spouting negativity.

This isn't necessarily an example of the negativity I'm talking about, but it is a taste of what we in the retail world are dealing with on the daily.

Yesterday I had a total wackadoo of a customer. And keep in mind, this is just one example of the crazies I meet.
Our conversation went as follows:

Me: Hi there!
Wacko Jacko: I'm just browsing.
Me (internally): It's a free country.
Me (aloud): Of course! Browse all you like.
Wacko Jacko (picking up a handbag): What are these? Like bags that you buy?
Me (internally): How do I even answer a question like that? Are you new?
Me (aloud): Yep. We like to get a few more accessories in at this time of year.
Wacko Jacko: Staring blankly

ONE MINUTE LATER
Wacko Jacko (holding a gorgeous-if I do say so myself-oversized glass ornament): Is this going to break?
Me (internally): If you throw it against a brick wall, probably.
Me (aloud): I'd like to think not. (laughing like a big fat faker) I guess it depends what you plan to do with it. I have others that are the same, only a bit smaller and lighter if you'd like to see them.
Wacko Jacko: Show me.
Me (internally): Rudeness!!

A FEW MINUTES LATER, WHILE I'M DEALING WITH ANOTHER CUSTOMER
Wacko Jacko (on her way out the door): I just wanted to let you know that I put those ornaments back. I'm not stealing them or anything.
Me (internally): Whatever nutbar.

What is wrong with some people?!
This is why I'm so exhausted at the end of some days. It literally takes everything in my power to keep this shit-eating grin on my face*.

But I am digressing.
Back to the empty storefronts.
In talking to my bookkeeper Catherine a few weeks ago about how much I love creating window displays, we came up with a stellar idea for those empty shops.
Put stuff in them!

I immediately called the landlord of an empty building across the street to ask if she'd be my guinea pig. She agreed that it might actually be mutually beneficial and popped right over with the keys.

Side note: This is just one more reason I love this town. This woman doesn't even know me! I could go, you know, like hang out in her shop whenever I want...or something.

I immediately wrote up a little proposal to all the Mill Street shop owners asking them for $25 so I could create a "Night Before Christmas" scene using products from all the different merchants. A bed from the Rebound Centre, a quilt from Curiosities, books on the nightstand from The Millers Tale, slippers under the bed from Nordic Star, the possibilities really are endless!
The $25 is so I can design and print proper vinyl signage for the window that will read:

"The items in this window aren't for rent, they're for sale right here on Mill Street. This shop, however, is for rent. If you'd like to open a business in Almonte, please phone the number below."

What do you think?
I think it's a super idea.
Stay tuned for that one to come to fruition.
Since I put it out there, I actually got a call from the landlord saying she may have rented it out come December 1 so I will have to set my sights on the next place.

What else?
Kid's Night is coming! Kid's Night is coming!
This year we're having 2 nights again. Thursday December 10th and Friday December 11th.
As my loyal blog-a-teers know, we made a special door just for this event last year.
Well, this year we've topped it.
Christine Moses, aka the Mosaic Queen, macked out the windows in a big bad way.
Yep. She mosaicked (holy awkward spelling) them.


Is that GORG or what?

You know what is also gorgeous?
Clementine.
In every picture but this one:
I wanted to get a picture of her two front teeth.
Which are new, and will totally be here for Christmas so we don't have to sing that damn song.
I had to string her up by her toes to get this unflattering shot. I'm her mother. I can do whatever I want with her okay?

To reward her for being so accommodating during our little photo shoot, I let her bounce.
Nice right?


xo Em

*Danica, if you're reading this, "shit" is a bad word. I'm sorry. Sometimes it's just plain necessary.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, Almonte is lucky to have you. I think your window idea is fantastic. Wanna come help out poor old empty downtown CP?

    I laughed out loud at your pic of Clementine upside down. Nice mama.

    You think you get crazies? I worked at IKEA for years and holy christ there were some major mental patients that used to come through. Wow.

    Jen (from the gym)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should write a book, Emily. I bet there are tons of great stories that come home with you at the end of a day, and you're so funny in telling them!

    Love your window idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you need help with the window display...choosing books, or grabbing stuff from the businesses, let me know. Fiona and I have no daytime agenda, and we'd love to help out! (BTW: You're a genius, and every town should have an Emily)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many things to comment on! You're a wonder Em. What a great idea for the windows!!! Hopefully your passion for a successful and bustling downtown will be contagious!

    And... Clementine is SO CUTE!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily,
    I laughed so hard when I saw the asterisk and Danica comment. Too funny! Where is my black Sharpie when I need it?
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barb and I often stare out at the windows and wish someone would do something. Cause, you know, we're too lazy to come up with amazing ideas like this one!

    I LOVE it. I can't wait to see what you accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Em...SERIOUSLY? 'Mental patient' is SERIOUSLY some funny shit. I laughed my ass off...okay, TOTALLY not literally. I think your next venture should be a "Memoirs of Emily and Those She'd Rather Forget..." You have a kajillion stories - just don't use MY name, okay!!

    ReplyDelete