Monday, November 9, 2009

"Christmas Flip" Day One

Thank GOD we're not renovating this year!
I don't know how we fit so much work in to one week last year.

Last night (Sunday) Colleen and I met at Blackbird at 3:30 to help Emily (and by "Emily" I mean the other Emily - let's make it clear that I'm not talking about myself in the 3rd person, which can be hilarious, but not always, and oh gosh I must be tired, I'm using commas inappropriately...) start clearing merchandise out of the windows so we could paper the suckers up.

Of course some people think we're closed permanently.
Ugh. Every year we get this feedback. Nevermind the fact that there are about 12 postcards announcing Friday's party in the front window, and cheerful sparkly little snowflakes hand painted on the kraft paper we used to cover them up.

Honestly.
If I'd closed for good, I would have painted something sad or evil on the paper if anything.
Like skull and crossbones. Or little frowning emoticons.
Or at least a happy face with a line through it.
Something far less joyous than glittered snowflakes.

Anyway.
My mom GENEROUSLY offered to take my little 9 month Clembot (it's her very merry un-birthday today) ALL day, freeing me up to meet Col and reek a little havoc on the store.

We started rearranging the layout and building our new displays, which look so adorable thanks to some ideas we've picked up over the past few months.

We cleaned Walmart out of twinkle lights (the white cord was VERY important to me this year and of course they were almost impossible to find. Colleen to the rescue on that one) and are incorporating them everywhere.

Who knew lights could look this cute jumbled up in a jar? Come on.

We found a whole new use for chicken wire.

And we started working our way from the front of the store to the back, loading up the shelves with yummy Christmas stuff.
Just look at all the stuff you didn't know you needed!

It was a great, fun day, but momma is tired.
Clemmie is 9 months old today and I really thought the kid would be sleeping through the night by now.

She. Is. Not.

She wakes up around 12:30am and again at 4:30...and again at 6:30 (if we're lucky enough to have her fall asleep again) and it's wearing me out.
Last night I tried to let her cry out the 12:30 wake up and there was just no winning.
She is SO strong-willed.
She cried for an hour "da da da DA, nuh nuh nuh NUH" (at least get my name right if you're going to wake me up in the dead of night. That's always been a strict rule of mine) until I finally broke and nursed her back to sleep.

I have found a new form of punishment that's working for me though.
A little something I call "humiliation through fashion".
Today I made her wear a onesie advertising her for sale.

You mess with the bull you get the horns Clem.
You get the horns.
And also my purse...and keys...and camera case apparently.



Night all.
Em

No comments:

Post a Comment