Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The word is out

So guess what?
I'm pregnant.

You knew it would happen. I mean Brad and I can hardly keep our hands off each other.
Oh wait.
I guess I'm not sure how it happened.

Anyway. You heard me.
I'm only 2 months along at this point but, never one to keep a secret, I'm blogging about it.
I know it's taboo to breathe a word before 12 weeks but you know, if something (god forbid) terrible happens, I'll probably just blog about that too.

My life.
I make the rules.

Not being able to talk about it is really what's kept me from writing this last week and a half.
First of all I've been feeling like a bag of P double O P for the last month, so much so that my doctor put me on Diclectin which stopped the hurling, but made me feel like a zombie. So I've stopped that.
I was that painful tired.

Of course as soon as mom's not feeling tip top, Clemmie turns into needy baby.
Up? Up? Up? Up? UPPP?! Okay? Okay? Okay?
Ugh. So not okay.

The clouds seem to have lifted in the past 2 days though and I'm feeling pretty fantastic now.
Hope it sticks.
You know how much I like to get done in a day.

I know what you're thinking, and don't worry.
I won't turn this in to a pregnancy blog.
To be honest, I feel better the less I focus on it.
Having the need for instant gratification as one of my numerous character flaws makes 9 months a long time to wait for something.
Best not to think about it.

I treated myself to a workshop this weekend at Christine Moses' house.
Christine is a great mosaic artist.
The same one who decked out the windows of our Kid's Night door last year.
(Oh god. I just realized I'm going to be a big pregnant house for Kid's Night this year. Should I sound the call for volunteers now?)

I thought it was about time I did something for myself and just enjoyed the process of creating instead of sucking the joy out of everything by trying to make a buck.

My mom bought a really adorable piece of Christine's ages ago and I've always kind of coveted it.
Naturally I stole the idea.

As I am prone to do, I forgot to take pictures until I was almost done.
But here are a few anyway.


It still needs to be grouted, but I've left it to dry for a few weeks and then I'll go back to finish off my masterpiece.
I call it Clementine's Clothesline.
Fitting.

The clothes are all made using broken bits of china from Christine's huge stash. It took forever for me to put it all together, but I just found the whole afternoon so relaxing.
Exactly what the doctor ordered.

On a business note, the store has been going strong these last few weeks.
I'm feeling pretty hopeful heading into the summer.

We've got some new stuff in here which is always a treat, and I'll be getting a bunch of new prints in the next weeks.
Lots of colourful poppies and some other really interesting pieces.

Framed prints are a new thing for Blackbird.
Colleen and I picked up a few at the January gift show and they sold really quickly.
Not to mention, they look great on the walls of the shop.

You should come see them.
And me.
Chances are we'll be here.

Last but not least, we're getting lots of amazing submissions for Handmade Harvest.
I'm overwhelmed by the crafty goodness that's pouring in.
It's really shaping up to be fabulous. Like One of a Kind Show fabulous.
There's still lots of time to submit your work if you want to be part of this event.
Read more about how by visiting the website: www.handmadeharvest.com.


Talk to you all soon!
Emily




7 comments:

  1. Yay! The word IS out. :) Your post made me laugh out loud in the first three sentences. I am SO happy for you guys. And I can't wait to give you all my pregnancy clothes. It saves me from lighting a big blazing fire to them once this baby makes it's debut. xoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your mosaic!! I'll have to covet yours and then beg Christine to hold another workshop for me. And the poppy pictures don't do them justice, they really are gorgeous.

    I'm never going to make a living working for you, stop buying cute stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take those clothes happily Kim!
    I tossed all mine after Clementine because I felt the same. Also because I'd seen the pictures of me in them. Not pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilarious blog Em, & SOOOO happy about your news! I can't wait to be an auntie again :-) Would love to chat soon & catch up, once I stop freakin' travelling for a second. Lots of love! MLG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I love your comment about tossing all your maternity clothes. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let the fun (and chaos) begin. Our third was our "Huh??" baby...how did this happen?? Now our life is just one big three ring circus...congratulations!! Pregnancy with a toddler can be a challenge. Amazing what we women can do! Just checked out the handmade harvest link...I'm going to apply! Sounds like amazing fun...and I won't make any money at it (if accepted) as I'll just barter my stuff for others' stuff...crafty craziness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, I'm a bit late, but behind on my blog reading. Congratulations!! Clementine will be a wonderful big sister :)

    ReplyDelete