Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Homestyle

I think I'm getting closer to putting a finger on the "style" I'm trying to achieve when it comes to my home decor.

It's no secret that I love the cottage chic, chipping white paint look, but there's a part of me that will always love hearty antiques, natural wood and that country red.
Colour.
I love colour.

I say this as I paint my kitchen cupboards white (I'll show you when I'm done), but don't think for a minute that I'm not going to accessorize this room to the maximus potentious (what?).

I typed in the words diy wedding into Google this morning (I'm working on a wedding workshop for late spring and needed inspiration) and found this blog.
Naturally I was steered off track and have yet to return to my original search.
I don't love everything, but I do love a LOT.

One of those oversized fabric shades would look really nice in my dining room...not to mention the chairs...
I basically have this chair...and the old ladder, but is that a chalkboard frame over the fireplace to no where?
Totally stealing that idea for my kitchen.

Seriously.
This blogger's penchant for colour and prints had me at hello.

I want my house to be this interesting to look at, but somehow I can't seem to make it happen.
I think the trick might just be to treat my home the way I treat the store, and merchandise the place.
Like, why can't I have vignettes in my home?
I suppose I can!

Check this image out.
I'm pretty sure those coffee table books spend more time employed under water glasses than on laps, and that no one ever uses all four of those tea pots on the mantle - yet everything in this room seems so intentional.
And also sort of haphazard.
Do you know how hard that is to find that balance? It crucial too. Otherwise you end up looking like you live in a furniture showroom.
Not good.

And this one.

Why oh why is there a rickety turquoise picture frame resting on this shabby looking night stand?
I'll tell you why.
That unsuspecting piece of would be junk is framing the lamp and the dresser, and that pop of yellow doily and making them one little unit of cuteness.
Making you take notice.
Making it special somehow.

That's a real art. Putting items together in a way that looks purposeful and yet not forced and awkward.
I want a home that feels like home whether you live there or not.

Maybe if I spent a little more of my free time prowling vintage shops instead of on the computer...
Now there's an idea.

Em

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous photos! You've inspired me as well (I've got to get to work on some curb appeal to my house) and I know exactly what you mean about getting out there and doing it instead of being on the computer!

    ReplyDelete