Tuesday, March 30, 2010

It's our Bird Day!

My kid can walk.
And I have proof.

The launch...

And take off!
Gosh it's fun to watch.
I might be singing a different tune when the lumbering turns into a brisk jog, but for now it's pretty cool to see her finding her balance and maneuvering through the house.
She's much less interested in emptying the contents of every single freaking cupboard in the house now that she can walk.
So that's a positive.

As I mentioned in my last post, April marks my third year in business.
Already!

Having this store is very much like having a kid.
I don't really remember what life was like before I had Blackbird.
I mean, I do, and I don't.
Feels like I've had two different lives.

The one where I did what I wanted and slept in and called in "sick" even when I wasn't (especially when I wasn't) and went out for nice dinners and had money.

And the one where I wake up at all hours of the night tossing and turning about all the things I have to do the next day and go to work even when I am sick and eat things like tuna casserole in front of the television and have no money.

I actually prefer the latter believe it or not.

So back to the 3rd birthday thing for a minute.
Wanna come? Because you're totally invited.


All day we'll be letting customers draw for between 15% and 40% off their purchases.
Like Scratch n' Save without the scratch.
There's lots of great spring stuff in here to save on too. And Mother's Day. That's coming up.
Might want to think about coming out to Almonte.
Might be worth it.

Moving right along, we're hosting another workshop.
Glass and tile pendant making. But guess what?
Yep. Sold out. All 35 spots.
So I'll spare you the details and just tell you about the following one.

Tuesday April 13th from 6pm to 9pm ($40) we'll be making little embroidered art pieces using felt and embroidery floss.
Colleen made one this week that I think is just too cute for words:

We also trolled around for a few examples from blogs that we love just to give you a better idea of the concept.
This one is from Frugal Designer.
This woman has some fantastic tutorials on her site. So when you're looking for a good way to kill an hour (or three), go check her out.


And this little number is from Sew Mama Sew. One of my personal favourites.
I'm not the world's best sewer, but I wish I was, and she's got fabulous tutorials that at least make it look easy.
Gives a girl hope you know?

I'm thinking this project would be really adorable if we incorporated the whole silhouette craze thing.
How cute would Clemmie's chubby little mug be embroidered and profiled in felt?
Come on now.

If you'd like to join us for this one, send an email to handmadenest@blackbirdshop.ca or call the shop at 613.256.9669.

These workshops have been going so well, and we've met so many creative people in the process of doing them, that Colleen and I have decided to organize a craft fair!
It'll be sometime in late fall of 2010 (location to be decided) and we're hoping it'll be a great outlet for all the talented crafters in the area.

Think Etsy meets Almonte.

We haven't worked out all the details but we do know this:
- It will be juried (it's the only way we could think of to weed out all the crocheted Ottawa Senators tea towels - sorry Brad).

- Items will have a max price point of $50 (so it doesn't become another artist show...they already have lots of those around here.)

- It will be a great opportunity to showcase the talents of people who don't consider themselves artists, but are talented nonetheless.

- It will be the perfect place to buy unique handmade Christmas gifts.

- It will be awesome.

Col and I have mentioned this idea to a few folks and have had a great response, but I'd love to know what you think too. Think it'll fly?

Our last workshop (the 2nd in our canvas series) went really well by the way.
Like last time, people really did their own thing.







I think some of these girls might have been professionals.
No one would admit it though.

That's it for now.
I'll look forward to seeing ALL of you at our birthday party.
Until then!
Emily



1 comment:

  1. A craft fair would be awesome in this neck of the woods! I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete