Friday, March 19, 2010

Running on all Cylinders

This workshop made me nervous!!
The day before we were set to hold it I started to really panic.
I suddenly started thinking this wasn't going to be quite as easy as I envisioned it being.

See I'm used to slapping things together and painting over things when something doesn't look quite right. Chiseling off misplaced buttons and making things work.
But it's not for everyone.

Once we'd all assembled Wednesday night and had a glass of wine or green beer in hand, I began to explain what we'd be spending the next 3 hours doing.
Making personal little canvases of art.

As each workshopper stood in front of their little white canvas (some staring blankly) I couldn't help but feel that a few feared they couldn't do it.
It's the whole peverbial blank sheet of paper thing.
I get that.

"I always think the best thing to do when faced with a blank page, is something" I said to them with as much confidence as I could muster.
"Grab some fabric, or a paintbrush and just cover your entire canvas with colour."

So they did.
Then I instructed them to choose an element to focus their concept around.
A picture, a piece of music, a quote...anything.

They went to work and, after a few minutes and a few more sips of wine, chatter started to fill the air and things started to come together.
Thank goodness! It is my hope that everyone leaves these workshops with something.
Even if that thing is just a fun night out.

In the end I think they all turned out pretty darned fabulous.






For our next workshops (and I'm not exactly sure of the dates since we're waiting on some supplies) we're going to be making Rockford Sock Monkeys, Glass Tile Pendants and Embroidered Fabric Wall Art.
Again, not sure of the order, but if you think you'd like to do one of those, let me know and I'll make sure you're on the email.

I have so much on the go right now I've actually started having heart palpitations.
I'm officially taking suggestions as to how to chill the heck out.
And don't say wine.
We both know I've tried that one.

I. Just. Can't. Stop.
I have so many ideas for promoting the shop and I would hate for golden opportunities to pass me by.
The latest and greatest is our Mother's Day promotion.

In the past year (or, is it two?...it's probably been two) I've befriended a really great couple through the store named Shawn and Marta.
Shawn is a photographer and Marta is a jewelry designer.
Actually, they both have day jobs, but they're probably not nearly as interesting...I don't actually know.
That's how good a friend I am.

Anyway, in chatting to the two of them a week ago we dreamt up an idea that would both promote the shop and generate a little word of mouth for Shawn.

A Mother's Day Photo Contest.
Of course!
Saturday May 1st from 10am to 5pm, kids of all ages are invited to have their photos taken in the shop by Shawn DeSalvo...for FREE!

At the end of the day we'll pick our favourite, wackiest or cutest picture.
The winner will receive a free, ready to hang, stretched canvas print of their photo in time to give mom for Mother's Day.

He took this adorable picture of Clemmie and printed it for me as a sample to put up in the store.
Could you die?

All participants will get a free web album that they can order their professional photos from at a discount courtesy of Shawn.
Bring the kids for some great family shots. Parents are also welcome to join the fun.
Rule #1: There are no rules!

Book a 20 minute time slot by emailing me at emily@blackbirdshop.ca or by calling the store at 613-256-9669.
Drop ins are welcome as well, but I have a feeling it might be chaotic.
We've already had a few bookings and you just know I'm going to promote the poop out of this thing.

Another thing coming down the pipe is our THIRD birthday!
Yep. Blackbird is going to be three next month.

Friday April 9th I'm hosting a party in the shop from 9am until 9pm with discounts from 15% to 40% off everything in the store (except dad's furniture...but he'll probably be here, and the man loves to negotiate. Just sayin'.)

During the day we'll have refreshments and discounts, but from 6pm to 9pm we'll have Blackbird inspired cupcakes courtesy of Kidz Katering, gourmet sweet potato fries from the Hot Potato (a funky new chip truck that's coming to Almonte who, incidentally, I designed a fabulous logo for), music, door prizes and, of course, goody bags.

Because what's a three year old's birthday party without parting gifts?
Seriously now.

xo Em

4 comments:

  1. You just keep getting more and more awesome! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT EM! CAN'T WAIT TO CELEBRATE YOUR SUCCESS THIS YEAR AND FOR MANY MORE YEARS TO COME!
    XX
    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Emily, your blog is just great. I can't put the computer down because I just want to keep reading.... I am coming to visit your store next thursday. Roxanne and I have a date.

    Hey, if you have a chance, visit my blog site... I paint and am an artist in Ottawa. It is:
    http://mariaconnellpaintings.blogspot.com

    Your blog is so kewwwwl! Keep blogging Em!

    ReplyDelete