Tuesday, March 10, 2009

In like a lion...

Oh. My. Gosh.
This baby stuff is tougher than I thought. Our first week at home with Clem was a bit of a dream.
Lots of company, relatively lots of sleep and then...
Uno
Dos
Tres

The shit, pardon my French, hit.
Like a Mack truck through the nursery window, all at once Clementine (though arguably stilll sweet) started experiencing terrible bouts of gas that made her scream even in her sleep. 
The little thing had such a hissy fit she managed to blow a tear duct and her eye pussed over with green goo that made her look like Swamp Monster #2 straight out of Night of the Living Dead.

Needless to say momma bear was pretty miserable last week too. 
If Brad thought he could do no right before, dude was in for  a whole new feeling of uselessness. Poor guy.
I cried every day.
Every day I got more exhausted. And every day I became less able to stay calm in the eye of the storm.

But, like a knight in shining armour, Brad decided to take Friday morning off so I could catch up on my sleep. 
And ouala! (if that's how you spell it) In a matter of hours Clem and Em became new women.
Ahh the healing properties of sleep.

Our weekend was full of happy times. Beautiful aunt Melissa (and her fab new haircut) came to town from Toronto for a visit and treated me to a pedicure at the Hog. So nice.
We celebrated Cole's 1st birthday party, had brunch at the Geuer's, went for dinner (twice!) and had a nice Sunday meal at aunt Jude's with cousin Jord.

We're roughly back on our 3 hour eating/staring/sleeping schedule and we're keeping a positive attitude that we can keep the good times rolling. Most of the time.

Clementine was a month old yesterday and is changing a lot. She's just shy of 11lbs and her hair is growing like dandelions on Grandma's front lawn.
 
I have decided that April will be the month I go back to work and today I'm going to figure out which days and for how long. But I need to go back.
I didn't miss if for a while, but now I really do.
The weather is getting nicer, the store is jam packed with gorgeous stuff for Spring, and the customers are starting to poke about Mill Street once again.

See friends? Two things are for certain.
Winter never lasts forever. And crying babies always sleep. Eventually. 
(And especially when you threaten to humiliate them in public with those socked hands and a gender neutral track suit if they don't give mommy a little peace and quiet.)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I remember those days. The poor helpless husband looking more like a deer caught in the headlights than a man who knows what he is doing. Poor guys.

    And poor new mamas. It's a roller coaster ride the first months. Life will get to it's new normal very soon - if it hasn't already.

    ReplyDelete