Thursday, May 19, 2011

Happy Thursday

It's Thursday morning.

Brad has just left on his annual boys camping trip north north north of Sudbury and I'll be home with these little goofballs for a whopping 5 sleeps.

I'm hooked on the Hipstamatic app on my iPhone.
I know all you "real" photographers are rolling your eyes.

We'll survive I'm sure.
And besides, I'll accumulate my fair share of "mommy points" while he's away.
Already planning ways to cash in on those when daddy gets home.
I'm thinking girls movie night with my lady friends.
I've been dying to see Bridesmaids since it came out.

I may actually enjoy myself while he's away.
Not that I don't enjoy life with him at home, it's just kind of nice to be able to beat my own drum sometimes.
It'll be five days without channel surfing anyway.

Right now I'm sitting in Starbucks (I know, I should be at Equator, but I had to get out of town or risk getting caught up chatting) with Griffy sleeping at my feet in his car seat, trying to maximize on this little bit of free time.
My little brain is a buzz with new ideas.

The first one being that I've decided to reinvent the shop.
I was so inspired by the vendors at Handmade Harvest that I've decided to integrate more handmade product lines into the store.

Truth is, I've always been a little insecure about how much stuff is imported from India, China, Thailand etc.
I really do make an effort to buy ethically produced items for Blackbird, but it's a challenge sometimes.
By carrying more handmade products not only can I have a story to tell about where they came from, but I can support people who are doing what they love.
And that, I love.

Holding this past show got me really thinking about how little creative work I've been doing for myself lately.
I love to paint, and also sew for example.
But I've found it almost impossible to do either since Clementine was born.
As soon as I pull out the sewing machine, she's up there on the chair wanting to create.

So the sewing machine is moving to the shop. And so is the easel.
(Not to mention the button making machine I just bought online! Custom buttons available soon!)

Colleen and I are in talks with my landlord to rent an additional space in the back of the building for Blackbird storage to make room for our brand new in store studio!! (Incidentally, the gorgeous, lofty office space above my store is available for rent. Email me if you want more details! emily@blackbirdshop.ca)

We'll be able to create things in our downtime, offer weekend and daytime workshops, and get our craft on whenever the mood strikes without having to return the dining room back to its original state.

The plan is to launch the studio space as well as the Handmade Department of the shop by July.
You can be sure I'll document the process. (We have some plans of our own, but if any of you have a vision, I'd love to hear from you! Design challenge anyone!?)

I am beyond excited about the possibility of this.
Honestly, I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner.
We were talking about renting a different space altogether for a workshop studio, but this makes so much more sense.

I better get moving here.
The boy is starting to stir (how dare he!?) and mama better get to the grocery store if these babies are going to eat today.

See you soon!
Em

No comments:

Post a Comment