Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Craftaholics Anonymous

Our first Workshop Night was a HUGE success!
At least, I think it was anyway.
The original plan was to have 8 workshoppers, but we quickly sold out and had to expand to 10. It was a cozy mess of crafters in here last night.
It was actually pretty hard not to commandeer one of the work stations so I could get in there myself, but I had almost as much fun watching.
Almost.
Truly, the best part of the whole thing was how people really made the wreaths their own.
Colleen and I consider ourselves pretty darned adept when it comes to making stuff, but we were quickly put in our place let me tell you.

Apparently we are "inside the box" thinkers after all because we pretty much stuck to the tutorial.
Not these guys!
Sure, some of the girls did as they were instructed, but others went in directions I never would have dared to venture.
Christina went the lovey dovey route and started cutting out hearts to mix in with hers.
I wasn't sure how they'd stand up, but check out the gorgeousness!
Here it is before:

And after!

My girlfriend Andrea (the daredevil) forewent circles and started cutting out flowers from all the different fabrics we supplied.
The girl was ruthless and even started hacking up the table cloth Colleen had brought from home.
Fortunately it was pretty hideous.

We cringed a bit as she chopped into fabrics we're used to being so conservative with (Amy Butler ain't cheap you know!), but it was good exercise in letting go for both of us.
Besides, look how fabulous the result was!

We even had two girls from Ottawa come, which really tickled me.
And kinda made me feel legit too.

Everyone seemed to have a great time.
Even those who couldn't indulge in the vino...

Now here's a message after my own heart...

And another one that just makes me feel...well, you know.


Needless to say there will be many workshops in our very near future.
February 23rd we'll be hosting one involving the upcycling of vintage scarves and other finds into fab accessories.

Wanna come?
Email me for more info by clicking here and I'll keep you in the loop.
I'll be posting pictures and details soon.

Thanks to all the girls (Vanessa, Kim, Laurie, Meredith, Josie, Andrea, Jody, Danielle, Christina, and Kristen) for joining in all the crafting fun last night.

Meredith, I hope your 3rd degree glue gun burn heals quickly!
And thanks for taking it like a big girl.
I definitely would have cried.

xo Em

3 comments:

  1. The workshop was awesome. I'm glad that after the initial tutorial you guys were able to let go, and let us do our own thing. Ive never been good at being told what to do creatively. :) I got to chat with Jody, and came home with a present for my neighbours. I hope they like it.

    Sign me up for the resin necklace workshop. Consider me officially a Blackbird Craftoholic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are terrific! I'm going to see if my art club wants to try them. thanks
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete