Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Cheer Up

I've been feeling pretty hum drum lately.
I usually think of my blog as my rose coloured glasses. Maybe you feel this way if you write a blog, but I find life looks considerably more interesting when you focus only on the good, quirky stuff.
Duh.
I just haven't been in the mood this past week. I don't know what it is really. A combination of things I suppose.
I'm not a winter person for starters.
The store is quiet, but I have a lot on the burners so if we're being positive I suppose that's a good thing in the short term.

I think it's just been a long year you know?
Clemmie will be one next month and maybe I'm feeling a little melancholy about that. It's almost been a whole year since my life was not my own. Maybe that's it.
Also. She's growing up!
As much as I look forward to the days when she can change her own diaper (it could happen) I love my little bambino.

Even after a year I'm still finding it so difficult to be patient and not do what I want to do when I want to do it.
That's definitely been the hardest part about motherhood for me.
I wonder if that will change ever. I hope it does. Or that I can change to make it okay.
Sure the sleeping (or lack of rather) can be challenging at times, but the waiting around is the real killer.

Are there mothers out there who really enjoy staying one step behind as their toddlers teeter up stairs at a glacial pace?
Sure it was cool the first, even the 5th time.
And YES she looks very cute when she does it.
But, if I'm being honest, I'm over it.
I have things to do people.
Even if those things are just putting on laundry and, you know, like peeing when I really have to.
Is that bad you think?
Am I a bad mom?
Do I need a lesson in patience? Probably.
Whatever. I do other things that some moms don't do. Like make her things, and let her chew on my cell phone.
She loves that.

I have three pregnant friends right now. Which is very exciting.
Because really, no one is as honest about stuff like this as your friends.
Misery* loves company. Ain't that the tooth.

Let's talk about something fun. How about crafts? That always cheers me up.
Colleen and I are buzzing with ideas lately. Blackbird is going to start offering Creative Workshops in the coming weeks. Have I mentioned that before?
I am losing it you know.

They'll be 3 hour, $35 workshops (in most cases this will include the cost of materials), covering a variety of different projects.
All of which will be awesome.

Over the months we have been collecting amazing tutorials generously provided by some amazing fellow crafters. I think we all need a creative outlet and what better way to socialize than over a great project?
And, knowing me, wine.
Here's just a taste of the things that have inspired me lately.
The type of things you could be creating if you join in all the fun we're about have here at Blackbird.


original creator: Tatertots and Jello
original creator: Bella Dia

(As in any craft, we'll be putting our own spin on things of course, but these images and ideas are taken from tutorials generously provided by the blogs listed above. Go check them out, but be warned. A crafting session may well ensue.)

You're excited I can tell.
Want to know about upcoming classes?
Join our mailing list here and write "Workshop" in the subject line.

We're also launching our own Handmade line of products in the shop.
And on Etsy.
It's called Handmade Nest. You know. Because we're addicted to the bird theme.
Handmade Nest is going to be hosting all of the workshops as a way to generate start up revenue and keep the creative juices flowing.

Look at that. I already feel better.
Thanks blog.
Emily

*I'm not miserable about being a mom. You know what I mean.


3 comments:

  1. ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, I want to take one of your classes! If you do one on a weekend, I will come home. Actually, maybe I will just move home. Your workshops are the final straw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on all points. I'll come by for a visit this afternoon. hug

    ReplyDelete
  3. The workshops sound really fun. I like to make things, but never get around to it. Something like that would push me to do it, not put it off or start something that never gets finished. Are you counting me as one of your pregnant friends? If you know enough of them, maybe a baby-related craft would be fun??

    And the winter blahs - I so hear you. I think mine might also be from not going to the gym for many weeks now. You too?? We should kick each other's butts into gear.

    ReplyDelete