Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Mishmash

The months are getting away from me so quickly lately!
I guess that comes with the baby territory but, seriously, at this rate I'm going to be seeing Clementine off to high school next week!
We're a busy little family, and that's got a lot to do with it.

In September we took a trip to Kitchener to visit Meg and Jeff and their lovely new home/fixer upper.
We were on our way to my friends' Nick and Lorrie's wedding in Stratford (possibly my new favourite town...stay tuned for a girl's trip to that locale!) and thought we'd stop in to see their place before their baby arrived.
We also needed them to look after their niece while we had a little fun!

The wedding was gorgeous and fun and gave Clem a chance to wear the adorable little dress my mom made her at Easter.
It really is the cutest thing. Thankfully it fit!

Brad for some reason felt it was VERY important that he matched his little girl so I made him a little pocket square out of some left over Amy Butler fabric.
After I got over feeling annoyed that in 8 years and a zillion weddings he's never cared to match his wife, I had to agree they made a pretty cute pair.

Two weeks after these pictures were taken my sister had her baby!!
Cohen Edward Randall was born Saturday September 26th...at home!
Luckily Meg and Jeff had a midwife (not to mention balls of steel) because her labour was less than 2 hours from the time her water broke and they couldn't make it to the hospital in time.
Apparently the only thing we have in common is parents because, if you recall, my labour was 18x that long!
Like seasoned pros they pulled down the shower curtain and had the baby right there on their bedroom floor.
All 8 pounds and 6 scrumptious ounces of him.

The weekend before, she and Jeff had paid a visit home for my dad's (60th) birthday and Jeff's mom (Meg's mother in law) hosted a little shower for her.
Just in time!
Never one to pass up an opportunity to make something, I found the most hideous nursing pillow at the Hub (Almonte's thrift shop) for $1 and re-covered it with $17 of fabric.
So yes, technically I could have bought her a new one for about the same amount of money but what fun is THAT?!

Of course I didn't think to take a picture before tearing it apart, so just use your imagination when you look into the eyes of those lions on the dusty blue background.
Of all of the gorgeous fabrics in the world why would anyone ever choose this pattern?
I think it looks so much better now don't you?

So does Clemmie.
That girl's always got her mommy's back.


I also did a little embroidered piece of a poem my Papa (dad's dad) used to say to us.
I hadn't thought of it for years and suddenly it just popped into my head.
I'm really not the best embroiderer (if that's even a word) in town, but I'm starting to let things like that go and just craft for the sake of creating instead of trying to make everything perfect.
Makes things more fun.


"I love you love you love you because you are so sweet. I love you love you love you because you have small feet."

There are so many things I want to create, and so little time to do it, I've become totally overwhelmed and hit a bit of a creative wall.
Lately I've begun choosing to do absolutely nothing (well not ABSOLUTELY) over doing anything for fear of running out of time and not completing a project.
Colleen and I have dreamed for months about creating our own line of handmade whatever to sell in the store and make a little extra seed money.
At least enough to pay for our addictions to crafting!
If I'm really going to do this I need to get organized.

Things I want to make:
Cutlery Pocket Napkins.
Sort of like these in that they're all different fabric patches, but with a pocket for cutlery.

Baby hair clips.
Clementine has a bunch of them and I know they would be CRAZY easy to make if I'd just get out of this house and buy some supplies.
Of course, ours would be cuter...
There are more things, but let's just post this blog and start a new one tomorrow.

xo Em



2 comments:

  1. I want baby barrettes. Make them and I will buy them.

    deal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deal! We've got a lot of things on the burner over here. Stay tuned for more home baked goods! :)

    ReplyDelete